cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Distribution Thoughts
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:24:11 GMT
Dan,

> >>     * Instead of having cxf-*.jar in lib, I think they should be in
> >> some other directory like "cxf-individual-modules/" so people don't
> >> include both the bundled jar and the individual modules.
> >
> > Can you get maven to generate the cxf-incubator manifest jar that
> > points to jars in another directory?   If so, I'm OK.   At the time
> > we set this up, that was all we could get it to do.
>
> Maybe there is some confusion here because I just noticed that the
> cxf-incubator.jar is only 9K. IMO this should be a bundle of ALL the
> CXF modules so people only have to use one jar if they want. So I don't
> see what the manifest has to do with it...

The manifest has a CLASSPATH entry in it that points to all the other
files.   That's why it's small.    There is no need to re-package all the
jars into one jar.    You use the CLASSPATH in the jar to point to all
the other jars.      It acts like "one jar" (just need the one jar on the
classpath") but keeps the modules separate.

Repackaging will really break things.   A bunch of jars have the
META-INF/extensions.xml and META-INF/bus-extensions.xml and other files.

> >> * Do we have
> >> to distribute activemq?
> > For the JMS examples to work "out of the box", yes.   That said, if
> > the readme had instructions for obtaining ActiveMQ, I'd be OK as
> > well.
>
> Shouldn't the examples work with just the jars? I don't see any reason
> why we need a complete copy of the activemq-3.2. We should just be able
> to use the in memory broker. It would be nice to have the activemq
> specific jars in an activemq directory/ as it really clutters our
> dependency list.

It is just the jars, isn't it?    There are a few config files (to
configure activemq to use the correct broker and queues and such) in
lib/activemq, but not much else.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer