cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Oisin Hurley <ohur...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Tooling Proposal [was Re: tooling and service model]
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 20:23:47 GMT

On 27 Sep 2006, at 21:09, Dan Diephouse wrote:

> Oisin Hurley wrote:
>> Are you envisioning the construction of a basis for a WSDL and
>> Java Annotation driven code generation tool framework that uses
>> a general and extensible service model, with pluggable and
>> scriptable code emitters?
> Yes!
>>
>> Because if you are I think that's a very interesting thing to
>> do :)
>>
> I started on a Javascript code generator for XFire once, but never
> had the chance to finish it. Basically the idea was that you would
> just go to http://foo.com/services/CustomerService?javascript and
> it would emit a full javascript client for you. Kind of like DWR,
> but for web services. You could even proxy other services like
> Amazon... If only I had more time...

It's interesting to me because if I see yet another wsdl2java tool,
I will probably vomit. Talk about repetition of effort! There's one
in cxf, one in tuscany, one in axis, one in xfire, one in every
proprietary web servicey toolkit known to humankind. Now, they all
produce different code, so wouldn't it be great instead of having
to worry about things like getting the parsing done, we could just
worry about generating the right code for the particular product?

Anyway - this is off-topic for this thread, so I will desist for
now, but there is a blog entry coming ;)

BTW, if this tool already exists and I've missed it, it would be
needlessly cruel not to share the information at this point.

  cheers
   --oh