cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <...@envoisolutions.com>
Subject Re: tooling and service model
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 05:00:07 GMT
James Mao wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>

>> I would like to start a set of parallel tool modules. Say create a
>> directory called tools2 and get things working there. Once we're
>> ready we can work on switching the whole build to the new tools.
>
> The tools2 will include all the functions in cxf tools?

And more :-)

> and how long will it take?

Depends on how fast we can type :-)

> and when we say switching you mean include porting all the unit tests
> and system tests to the tools2? and also make demos work properly.
> So, your goal is to replace cxf tools with tools2?

Yes, yes, yes.

> or let user choose which one they want to use?

No.

> But i really have a question why we need to create another tools when
> the current tools works perfectly fine?

Because they don't work fine. I believe we had this discussion before...
Please see the previous threads on tooling.

If you want to try to refactor the current tools in place, I suppose we
could try that. But its a pretty drastic change, so I don't really see a
step-wise process to do it. I think it would be better to just write a
second set of tools, then when they're ready switch everythign over and
delete the old tools.

>> I'm in the midst of refactoring this now. I probably won't get the
>> code in until tomorrow though. I'll try to explain once I get it
>> finished :-)
>>
> Cool, just make sure all the system tests and demos working properly.

I don't usually test demos when I do commits. That would really slow
down the development process. If there is something in the demos that
isn't covered in the tests, you should add it.

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
(616) 971-2053