cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Bozhong Lin <b...@iona.com>
Subject CeltiXfire release process
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 04:19:27 GMT
Hi All,

As we now get distribution setup working properly, I think this is a
good time to discuss and agree a release mechanism according to Apache
way. Per my observation from other Apache incubator projects such as
ServiceMix and Tuscany, we can start with milestone releases (M1, M2,
...Mx), but I am not sure if we can do the major 2.0 release before
graduation, or it has to wait after graduation. I also observed
following typical release setup:

Pre Release:
1. create a wiki page and start capturing features/bug fixes for the release
2. We can start a discussion thread and then come to a concensus on the
final list
3. All release items should be tracked by JIRA
4. We can start a parallel thread on the release date

Release process:
1. We should do a code freeze and put out a release candidate (RC1)
2. Allow minimum of one week for people to test/verify the RC
3. If there are major issues maybe do a RC2 and follow the issue process.
4. If a majority is happy then we can do a code freeze and cut out a
release.

The important thing is that everything is decided based on a public
voting on the list. (only binding votes are counted). For incubator
projects, I guess PPMC has to vote on a release. Are these the correct
understanding of release process? Do mentors have any advice on this?

For the first few milestones releases, I will volunteer to coordidate them.

Regards,
Bo