cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <...@envoisolutions.com>
Subject Guidelines for Separation of JAX-WS/Implementing classes
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:27:57 GMT
Hi All,

As there has been some confusion in the past and some confusion
currently about the proper separation between the core, service model,
and jax-ws, I thought I'd try to set forth a few guidelines. These
should be relatively uncontentious, but feel free to +1/-1 and put me in
my place if need be:

1. Do not reference the service class, service methods, or method
parameter types outside of the Databinding & Invoker classes.
2. Do not use any JAX-WS classes outside of the jaxws module.
3. One exception to #2 is tests. Currently depend on testutils in the
soap/core/etc modules, which depends on jaxws. So sometimes we have to
depend on on jaxws if we're using generated artifacts. Try to minimize
these references though.
4. Do not reference the implementing class outside of a particular
invoker implementation.

These guidelines help us keep good separation between our modules,
making it easy for non-jaxws frontends or different types of
databindings to be added.

Cheers,
- Dan

--