cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Do we want to change the name
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2006 08:26:20 GMT

On 3 Sep 06, at 10:37 PM 3 Sep 06, Dan Diephouse wrote:

> Now I am all for considering another name. And the Foam variations
> don't actually sound that bad.
>
> But, I think this vote is silly with out a concrete name that
> someone is proposing. While you can all agree that I and various
> other folks made the wrong decision, I'm not going to vote +1
> unless we're voting on a specific name. I asked all the XFire
> committers for advice, talked to many people at IONA, and in
> general spent a long time on phone calls and in meetings about the
> name, and we have what we have. If someone wants to propose a
> better name that we feel will be better for the project in the long
> run, great. However if someone is going to propose something please
> check into trademark issues first so we know whether or not its
> worth voting on.
>
> An advantage of CeltiXfire which hasn't been mentioned is that
> CeltiXfire might work better from a marketing perspective. XFire
> users and people who know about XFire can draw the connection
> between the two projects. Same goes for the Celtix side of things.
> We could eventually phase out CeltiXfire too and just call it CXF
> which I think is more palatable
>
> So consider this a -1 unless we are voting on a specific proposal.

I am only going to make the point that the choice of name has never
appeared to me to be settled, or has been driven from the wrong place
for the wrong reasons.

I will retract the proposal and I also won't vote as I'm not actually
a developer and haven't contributed anything to the project per se.

The only stipulation I would like to put in place is that you need to
decide on a name before the first milestone goes out because after
that you can't realistically change it without causing a great deal
of confusion.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org