cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Cxf.jar
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:20:23 GMT
Jason,

> > The cxf.jar is created by distribution maven install which
> > maintains the cxf-*.jar and other third party jars.
> > So you need to cd in the trunk/distribution and use "mvn install"
> > to build up CXF-distribution kit.
> > You can use "java -jar  cxf-2.0-incubator-M1-SNAPSHOT-bin.jar"  to
> > install it.
> > Then you can find the cxf.jar in the celtixfire/lib.
>
> Please do not release JARs without version numbers in the JAR. It's
> easy enough to generate the MANIFEST with all the dependency
> information so you don't have to do this by hand if that's what
> you're doing.

This jar SOLE purpose is to BE a manifest jar.  There isn't any code in it and
Maven does indeed generate the manifest list.

The purpose of the jar is so our "command line" scripts (bat files, shell
scripts) can just point to cxf-incubator.jar and not depend on any specific
version number on the jar and so we don't need to go through and "filter" all
the shell scripts (or modify them when the version number changes).

Basically, from our experience (IONA customers), if the customers have to
update their scripts, ant build.xml files, etc...  to change a jar name or
something when a "patch" (2.0 -> 2.0.1) comes out, they bitch, moan, and
complain.    The cxf-incubator.jar is just the manefest they point their
scripts at to avoid that.   It's also not something that would be deployed
like that to the maven repository.    It's mostly for the non-maven users.
(there are still a couple of them out there  that haven't seen the light
;-)

Enjoy!
Dan

--