cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Guidelines for Separation of JAX-WS/Implementing classes
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:35:34 GMT

On Monday September 11 2006 10:27 am, Dan Diephouse wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As there has been some confusion in the past and some confusion
> currently about the proper separation between the core, service model,
> and jax-ws, I thought I'd try to set forth a few guidelines. These
> should be relatively uncontentious, but feel free to +1/-1 and put me in
> my place if need be:
>
> 1. Do not reference the service class, service methods, or method
> parameter types outside of the Databinding & Invoker classes.
> 2. Do not use any JAX-WS classes outside of the jaxws module.
> 3. One exception to #2 is tests. Currently depend on testutils in the
> soap/core/etc modules, which depends on jaxws. So sometimes we have to
> depend on on jaxws if we're using generated artifacts. Try to minimize
> these references though.
> 4. Do not reference the implementing class outside of a particular
> invoker implementation.

5.  Related to 2 - don't throw WebServiceException.   That's a JAX-WS thing.
We should have proper subclasses of the Exception/UncheckedException from the
common module that are thrown in all cases.   The JAX-WS frontend should
catch those and map them to the proper WebServiceException.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer