cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: rename proposal
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2006 21:22:47 GMT

On Tuesday September 05 2006 4:50 pm, Hani Suleiman wrote:
> I think that there's significant interest in renaming the project,
> many of the objections are centered about the lack of a better name,
> so hopefully this proposal will convince the doubters...
>
> I propose we call the project Apache Foam. No trademark issues that
> I'm aware of, and the name has been positively received so far.
>
> Pros:
>
> 1) Easy to type and say
> 2) Simple and catchy
> 3) no need for abbreviated package names
> 4) Doesnt clash with any existing oss projects, so no confusion there

There is OpenFOAM at openfoam.org.    However, that is a VERY targeted tool
aimed at a fairly small audience.    However, I don't think that changes
anything as "Apache Foam" should still be different enough to be OK.   Then
again, IANAL.

> 5) Meaningful: 'lightweight soap'.

I really would prefer not promoting that.   While a cool meaning, the project
needs to be viewed as more than just a soap stack.   It needs to be views as
more of a SOA enabling framework or similar.

> Cons:
> 1) Doesn't signify that it's the result of xfire + celtix
> 2) Not very google friendly, though 'Apache foam' will probably catch
> it, and if the project is successful it isn't unthinkable that it
> shows up on the frontpage within a few months.

That all said, I like it.   It certainly beats CeltiXfire in my opinion.

Dan and I have plenty of experience changing all the package names.   :-)

Enjoy!
--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer