cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Do we want to change the name
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 19:10:55 GMT

Since there are a bunch of people on here that are new to Apache, it's
probably a good idea to do a quick review of the apache voting procedures and
responsibilities.  Make sure you read through:

http://apache.org/foundation/voting.html

The important things to remember are:
* Vote for what YOU think is best for the project and community.   When
participating in an Apache project, you are representing yourself and the
apache project, not the company that is paying you.   In many cases, your
opinion will probably agree with your company, and that is to be expected,
but definitely make sure you are voting for what you feel is the best action
for the project.

* Even if you are NOT a committer, feel free to vote if you feel strongly on
an issue, but please mark the vote as "non-binding".   The committers
definitely have the final say, (actually, that's not true.  The PMC's have
the final say as really their votes are the only true bindings votes) but
it's also important to know what the users feel in regards to actions being
taken.  If 50 users vote in a way contrary to what the project participants
vote, that represents a problem and the participants should step back and
re-evaluate their stand.

Anyway, in regards specifically to this vote...

(I'm sure a bunch of IONA folks are going to scream at me for writing this.
Let's see, 3pm on a Friday afternoon of a long weekend....   I might get out
of here before anything major.... :-)

In my opinion, the fact that this needs to go to vote means the name is
a "sticking point" for the community.   To me, it's important for the project
and for the community to rally together and having a name that everyone can
agree on could be a starting point.  From talking with folks outside IONA,
I've yet to hear anyone say they like the name.

I also feel the Celtix part of the name is too tied to IONA which is not good
from an Apache project perspective.   The XFire part has serious trademark
questions (xfire.com).  (keep in mind, McDonalds sucessfully sued a small
coffee house called McCoffee)

Finally, I just don't like the CeltiXfire name.   Hard to type/say. The
imagery it conjures up is bad. (flaming leprechauns)   I've already heard
nicknames like "celtic-mis-fire".  Etc....

Anyway, I'll be voting to change the name.  I'm just not sure "to what" yet.
I'll decide on that if this vote passes.   I like xerveza.  I also
like "CXF", not quite as much as xerveza, but it certainly is less work to
change it to CXF.  (then again, most of that work is on Jason ;-)

Anyway, those are my thoughts.....    Thus, I'm +1.
Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer