cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <...@envoisolutions.com>
Subject Re: Tooling, Code First Approach & Service Model
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 03:54:13 GMT
James Mao wrote:

>Hi Dan,
>

>>Its a requirement. XFire supports it and we need a migration path for
>>users using XMLBeans. XMLBeans provides access to the DOM underneath,
>>which a lot of people like. Or take JiBX. It is about 2x faster than
>>JAXB. There are a lot of pros and cons to the different databinding
>>toolkits. Which one you use really depends on your situation.
>>

>I mean the tools works fine with jaxb, and currently i don't think that
>we need to support all the databindings.
>There are tons of databinding implementation out there[1], and there
>will have more new databindings emerging .
>Are we going to support all of those databindings? and Why the user need
>to care which databinding they are using?
>
>Maybe it's true for rt, but for the tools i think we just keep the
>current design.
>
>I agreed that there are some duplicate code in the rt and tools, and we
>can reuse some of the code and put it into common module.
>So, i mean what we need is just refactoring to use the common code, not
>re-design to support the multiple databindings.
>
>Agree?

No, I strongly disagree. Have you ever used the other databindings? Each
one hsa its own ups and downs. Did you see how in the bindmark
benchmarks JiBX was twice as fast? And what happens if you need to
access the XML infoset during parsing? Will JAXB cut it? No. But
XMLBeans will.

Yes, there are tons of databinding implementations out there, and this
is exactly the reason we should have hooks to support them.

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
(616) 971-2053