cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Johnson, Eric" <Eric.John...@iona.com>
Subject RE: Wiki and Web
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:49:41 GMT
Dan,
I've been thinking about the web site thing a bit more and still don't
think Confluence is the way to go for the front page. Here are a few of
my concerns:
* While Confluence does make editing the content easy it is also pretty
limited in its layout capabilities.
 * If our Wiki and our web site look the same, what is the point of
having both?
* Since the Confluence instance we are using is not specific to our
project, how much control over look and feel do we have over the
resulting output?
* Can Confluence make use of CSS and Javascript?
Mostly, I'm concerned that using Confluence does not provide a good base
for creating a really professional looking web presence.
The approach I'd prefer is to use straight HTML to build the main page
and perhaps some of the other pages. From that base we can add links to
the Confluence instance and other content.
I understand that this means checking the HTML back into SVN, but that
really is not that big an issue in my opinion. It provides a good way
for the whole community an opportunity to see what is being added to the
page before it gets pushed out to the Apache web server.
Cheers,
Eric

I'm
> > sure confluence is easy to use, but I've never actually done it.
> >
> Its very simple, just go to a page and click Edit :-)
> > For site generation I'm not sure Forrest is actually the best way to
go
> > either. I just put the Celtix info together as an experiment. I'm
not
> > sure I like using the Confluence to build the main site either
though.
> > Is there a way to lock down who can edit the content?
> Yes, only people who we give permission to can edit it.
> > Does this mean that the wiki and the Web site are the same?
> >
> In essence yes. But the wiki gets exported to SVN. Here is an example:
>
> The published site: http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/
> Confluence: http://goopen.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/Home
> > I suppose what I'm getting at is that I like the idea of having a
wiki
> > that people can edit as a tech/dev zone sort of thing, but not as
the
> > entry to the project. I like the idea of a static site that is
reviewed
> > before being published as the front of the Web site. I think the
front
> > page of the Web site should be a static HTML page that is stored
> > separately from the wiki. From that page we can link into
Confluence,