curator-user mailing list archives

From Vikrant Singh <vikrant.subscr...@gmail.com>
Subject Persistent Ephemeral Node
Date Mon, 12 Oct 2015 19:03:23 GMT
I have some basic question on persistent ephemeral node.

Here is some background...

We have a zoo keeper based service discovery setup. Each service register
itself as a ephemeral node with zookeeper.When a service go down  its
ephemeral node is removed from zookeeper and we know that service is down
and we provision it again.

At present we create plain ephemeral node. I am wondering what
benefit/risks we may get if move to persistent ephemeral ones.  I see one
problem... using  plane ephemeral node we can rely on state of ZK to make a
decision like service is down. This is because we are sure that if a node
get deleted with zoo keeper it will never comeback from same process. But
if moved to "persistent ephemeral" I guess same may not be the case.

Please let me know what you think of the same.

Also I would like to know what are the best scenario where one should
prefer using persistent ephemeral node over ephemeral node.

Thanks,
Vikrant