curator-user mailing list archives

From Joe Littlejohn <joelittlej...@gmail.com>
Subject Temporarily remove a host from service discovery
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2015 14:46:18 GMT
Hi

Is there a way, when using the service discovery recipe, to temporarily
remove a host so that is not returned when a client asks for an instance?
Ideally I'd then like to later be able to reinstate the disabled host. A
bit like taking an instance out of a load balancer when there is a problem
(or you need to do something that might affect the instance), and adding it
back into the load balancer later.

Once option is simply to delete the node in Zookeeper to stop traffic
hitting that instance, but there's then no way to reinstate it.

This could probably be implemented as a provider strategy, with a flag
within the node data that says whether the host is enabled. I'm wondering
if there is a better way. It would be great to have some kind of dashboard
to help manage the service discovery nodes in Zookeeper.

Would love to hear from anyone that is using the service discovery recipe
and whether you have come up with any good 'management/admin' strategies.

Cheers