curator-user mailing list archives

From Gregory Chanan <gcha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: NodeExistsException with Shared Value recipe in Curator
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2015 18:14:12 GMT
Just to reiterate Jordan's point -- given ZooKeeper's server semantics you
cannot avoid NodeExistsExceptions in general.

If ZooKeeper had different semantics -- for example state-based APIs
(e.g."this node should exist at the end of this call") rather than
action-based APIs (e.g. "create") -- it would be possible to avoid these
exceptions.  Or if you could enforce single-writer at a time semantics.

But given ZooKeeper's API choices, I believe most adminstrators simply live
with the exceptions or filter them out.

Greg