curator-user mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com>
Subject Re: InterProcessSemaphoreMutex Scalability
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2015 21:29:22 GMT
The major limitation is that, by default, ZooKeeper API calls are limited to 1MB. The lock
recipe calls getChildren() and the concatenated list of children can’t be more than 1MB.
The node names contain the prefix “lease-“ (6 chars), a UUID (36 chars) and the sequence
number (10 chars). So, that’s 52 chars per lock. I don’t know if there’s other overhead.
But, anyway, that gives you room for something like 19K lock participants. So, 600 is no problem.
Additionally, each lock participant only watches it’s preceding participant so you won’t
get herding as the number of clients grow.

-Jordan