curator-user mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com>
Subject Re: blockUntilConnected use
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2014 22:27:44 GMT
Sure - if you don’t mind, please provide a pull request with the change.

On October 29, 2014 at 5:26:35 PM, Thejas Nair (thejas@hortonworks.com) wrote:

Thanks for the clarification Cameron and Jordan.

I don't see anywhere in the documentation which says that it should be
used before Curator calls.
But its presence in CuratorFramework as a public method makes one
wonder, if that is a public function in that class for a reason.

I think it will be useful to have a comment in the functions javadoc
to say that is for some very specific recipes, and it does not have to
be called before using the other functions in CuratorFramework class.
Thoughts ?

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 3:15 PM, Jordan Zimmerman
<jordan@jordanzimmerman.com> wrote:
> That’s an internal method. Any of the Curator Framework methods will call it
> to make sure the connection is valid. You should never need to call it
> yourself.
>
> -Jordan
>

> On October 29, 2014 at 5:04:58 PM, Thejas Nair (thejas@hortonworks.com)
> wrote:
>
> When is CuratorFramework.blockUntilConnected supposed to be used ? It
> is not clear if one should call that before a create or getData.
>
> After digging some more into the jira that added that and the code
> base, I believe that calling it is not necessary before invoking other
> CuratorFramework functions. Having to do that would be contrary to the
> goals of curator.
>
> Should we document that it is not necessary to call
> blockUntilConnected before invoking other operations in
> CuratorFramework?
>
> Thanks,
> Thejas
>
> --