curator-user mailing list archives

From <Damon.HartDa...@nomura.com>
Subject re: Event order lost with PathChildrenCache
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2014 08:05:05 GMT
Hi,

I have been experiencing some intermittent issues around ordering on the lines of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CURATOR-57
and I wondered if someone could confirm/deny a narrow guarantee.

Ideally I’d like to see all operations through the PCC in the order that they happen in
Zookeeper, ie ordered by zxid.

That doesn’t happen around startup, and there is certainly potential for races around the
synchronous operations in my initial:

    readCache.start(PathChildrenCache.StartMode.BUILD_INITIAL_CACHE); // Start eagerly.

and the subsequent operations that keep that cache up to date.  I do see occasional upsets
there.

But I have a more practical question.

Once all the initial/startup work is over and the cache is in a steady state, if node A is
updated and then node B in Zookeeper, is a user of the PCC guaranteed NOT to see an update
on B before an update of A?

Why? So I can do a bunch of node updates then update a 'beacon' node B, which can trigger
(re-)reading of all other/earlier nodes knowing them now to be in the latest state in all
PCC caches.

Rgds

Damon

This e-mail (including any attachments) is private and confidential, may contain proprietary
or privileged information and is intended for the named recipient(s) only. Unintended recipients
are strictly prohibited from taking action on the basis of information in this e-mail and
must contact the sender immediately, delete this e-mail (and all attachments) and destroy
any hard copies. Nomura will not accept responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness
of, or the presence of any virus or disabling code in, this e-mail. If verification is sought
please request a hard copy. Any reference to the terms of executed transactions should be
treated as preliminary only and subject to formal written confirmation by Nomura. Nomura reserves
the right to retain, monitor and intercept e-mail communications through its networks (subject
to and in accordance with applicable laws). No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost
by Nomura by any mistransmission of this e-mail. Any reference to "Nomura" is a reference
to any entity in the Nomura Holdings, Inc. group. Please read our Electronic Communications
Legal Notice which forms part of this e-mail: http://www.Nomura.com/email_disclaimer.htm