curator-user mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com>
Subject Re: adding a "network timeout" to curator?
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2014 05:25:31 GMT
Curator should already go into SUSPENDED when there is a connection issue, right? How would
this be different?

-JZ

From: Jeremy Stribling Jeremy Stribling
Reply: user@curator.apache.org user@curator.apache.org
Date: February 26, 2014 at 7:56:26 AM
To: user@curator.apache.org user@curator.apache.org
Subject:  adding a "network timeout" to curator?
Hi all,

I started a thread on the ZK list a while back about timeouts in ZK.
You can find it in the archives here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-user/201309.mbox/%3C522F7A9D.20800@nicira.com%3E

The basic idea is that when ZK is running on a node with slow disks
(e.g., in a VM), you might want to set your session timeout to a long
value (e.g., 30 seconds or 60 seconds), but still detect network
timeouts quickly. On that thread, Michi proposed using 'ruok' commands
from the client to test network connectivity, along with the normal
client pings happening in the background to detect server slowness.

I was wondering if this would make sense to provide as part of the
Curator Framework or Client. There could be some background thread
sending 'ruok' commands to whatever server the client is connected to,
and going into SUSPENDED (or LOST?) mode when it hits a timeout or gets
a failure back. We might be able to implement something like that here
and contribute it back, if it sounds interesting to other people and we
can agree on a design. Any thoughts?

Jeremy