curator-user mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com>
Subject Re: Path Cache Recipe and traversing child nodes
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2014 21:08:59 GMT
PathChildrenCache is not recursive currently. Track CURATOR-33

From: Lavoie, John L Lavoie, John L
Reply: user@curator.apache.org user@curator.apache.org
Date: February 3, 2014 at 4:04:48 PM
To: user@curator.apache.org user@curator.apache.org
Subject:  Path Cache Recipe and traversing child nodes
Hi,

I’m brand new to Zookeeper and am trying Curator to help get a jump start.  I’m looking
through the curator recipes and the Path Cache seems like a really good fit for me.

I want to post the state of my currently executing Cascading jobs to zookeeper so that we
can centrally query them from a different system.  The znode hierarchy might look something
like this:

/my/app/

-/otherdata/

-/jobstatus/

--/activejob1

--/activejob2

I’ve set up a PathChildrenCache instance to monitor /my/app/ and I’m not seeing any updates
when I write values to the jobstatus node.  I need to change my reading app to monitor /my/app/jobstatus.
It looks like the PathChildrenCache and the Path Cache recipe are not capable of iterating
over children within the main node that it is monitoring.  Is that true? Is there a way around
this without having to monitor multiple nodes for updates or is that an inherent design to
Curator/ZK?

I don’t even see an easy way to traverse the child nodes through the PathCache Example if
I try to change the list() method to recursively walk the tree.  I must be missing something
in the API here, right?

John Lavoie