curator-user mailing list archives

From Jeremy Stribling <st...@vmware.com>
Subject adding a "network timeout" to curator?
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2014 02:23:40 GMT
Hi all,

I started a thread on the ZK list a while back about timeouts in ZK.
You can find it in the archives here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-user/201309.mbox/%3C522F7A9D.20800@nicira.com%3E

The basic idea is that when ZK is running on a node with slow disks
(e.g., in a VM), you might want to set your session timeout to a long
value (e.g., 30 seconds or 60 seconds), but still detect network
timeouts quickly.  On that thread, Michi proposed using 'ruok' commands
from the client to test network connectivity, along with the normal
client pings happening in the background to detect server slowness.

I was wondering if this would make sense to provide as part of the
Curator Framework or Client.  There could be some background thread
sending 'ruok' commands to whatever server the client is connected to,
and going into SUSPENDED (or LOST?) mode when it hits a timeout or gets
a failure back.  We might be able to implement something like that here
and contribute it back, if it sounds interesting to other people and we
can agree on a design.  Any thoughts?

Jeremy