curator-user mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com>
Subject Re: Curator in an appserver environment
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2013 19:56:53 GMT
I’ve personally used Curator with Tomcat and had no problems. Allocate your own Executors
and pass them to Curator or let Curator allocate them.

-Jordan

On Dec 17, 2013, at 4:21 PM, Cameron McKenzie <mckenzie.cam@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been using Curator in a standard Java environment, and haven't had any issues with
it, but have just started using the same code in an appserver environment and have come across
an issue.

> While, it's probably considered 'bad' to use Curator in this environment because it uses
its own thread management, it runs fine in the vast majority of cases. The only time I have
experience issues with it is when trying to call close() on the CuratorFramework instance.
Specifically, calling close() when the app server is shutting down.

> The problem occurs because Curator uses an Executor to send the 'shutting down' events
to listeners, and the appserver has shut down all its Executor services because it's shutting
itself down.

> My work around is to catch any runtime execptions thrown by the CuratorFramework close()
method, and in this case grab the ZooKeeper connection from Curator and closing this. It's
a bit ugly though.

> Any suggestions (other than not using an appserver, or not using Curator in this environment)?

> One fix would be to not use the Executor during shutdown to send the events, and instead
just do this in the thread doing the shutdown. I doubt this would have great performance implications,
given that you're unlikely to have millions of listeners.