curator-user mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com>
Subject Re: Multiple consumers on a single server - strange behavior.
Date Sun, 17 Nov 2013 22:59:43 GMT
I don’t think there’s any reason to assume that each consumer will process an equal number
of messages.

-JZ

> Hi Jordan..
>
> Regarding the output:
>
> As you can see the LOG prints the name of the consumer and "processed " and the item....
>
> I am running the program with 4 servers in my chorum:
> ir-hadoop1 server is a producer
> ir-hadoop2--> ir-hadoop4 are consumers.
>
> After 14 minutes, I simply count the number of procssed items on each one of the consumer
(a simplistic grep on the LOG file) and I get the folliwng:

> ir-hadoop2 : 3042 processed items
> ir-hadoop3 : 1276 processed items
> ir-hadoop4 : 830 processed items...
>
> If I have a look at the procssed times, I can see that ir-hadoop4 , is most of the time
idle... I attach here the LOG corresponding to ir-hadoop4 for example

> Benjamin
>

> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 12:03 AM, Jordan Zimmerman <jordan@jordanzimmerman.com>
wrote:
> The example out is missing. Please provide that too.
>
> -Jordan

wrote:

>> First at all , thank you for your answer.
>>
>> Here is the simple code, I used:
>>
>> The producer and queueconsummer are given in the class
>>
>> Every 5 minutes, I am printing the the number of processed items, and I see some
drastic differences between the different consumers:

{
>>                     // this also restores the notification
>>                     List<String> children = framework_.getChildren()
>>                             .watched().forPath(Utils.CRAWL_QUEUE_PATH);
>>                     if (children.size() <= QUEUE_SIZE/2) {
>>                         addQueueContent(QUEUE_SIZE - children.size());
>>                     }
>>                 }
>>             }
>>         });
>>

>>         while (true) {
>>             List<String> children = framework.getChildren().watched().forPath(Utils.CRAWL_QUEUE_PATH);
>>             if (children.size() <= QUEUE_SIZE/2) {
>>                 LOG.info(dateFormat.format(new Date()) + " - In the while(true) -
We call for size " + children.size());
> [...]
>>                 this.queue.put(url);
>>             } catch (Exception e) {
>>                 LOG.error ("Caught an error when adding the item " + i + " in the
initQueueContent()");
>>             }
>>         }
>>     }
>>
>>     public static void main(String[] args) {
>>         CrawlerPropertyFile props;
>>         try {
>>             props = new CrawlerPropertyFile(args[0]);
>>
>>             final String connectString;
>>             System.out.println("DEBUG = " + Utils.DEBUG);
>>             if (props.useZkTestServer()) {
>>                 System.out.println("Will launch from zkTestServer");
>>                 TestingServer server = new TestingServer();
>>                 connectString = server.getConnectString();
>>             } else {
>>                 connectString = props.getZkServer();
>>             }
>>
>>             final CuratorFramework framework = Utils.newFramework(connectString);
>>             framework.start();
>>
>>             @SuppressWarnings("unused")
>>             QueueProducer producer = new QueueProducer(framework);
>>         } catch (Exception e) {
>>             e.printStackTrace();
>>         }
>>
>>     }
>>
>>     @Override
>>     public void close() throws IOException {
>>         this.queue.close();
>>     }
>>

>> }
>>

>> Consumer
>> =-=-=-=-=-
>>
>> package com.zk;
>>
>> import java.io.Closeable;
>> import java.io.File;
>> import java.io.FileWriter;
>> import java.io.IOException;
>> import java.text.DateFormat;
>> import java.text.SimpleDateFormat;
>> import java.util.Date;
>>
>> import org.apache.curator.framework.CuratorFramework;
>> import org.apache.curator.framework.recipes.queue.DistributedQueue;
>> import org.apache.curator.framework.recipes.queue.QueueConsumer;
>> import org.apache.curator.framework.state.ConnectionState;
>> import org.apache.curator.test.TestingServer;
>> import org.slf4j.Logger;
>> import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory;
>>

>> public class MyQueueConsumer implements Closeable{
>>
>>     private DistributedQueue<CrawlUrl> queue;
>>
>>     String name;
>>
>>     String id;
>>
>>     FileWriter timeCounter;
>>
>>     final static Logger LOG = LoggerFactory.getLogger(MyQueueConsumer.class);
>>
>>     final static DateFormat dateFormat = new SimpleDateFormat("HH:mm:ss");
>>
>>     int numberOfProcessedURL;
>>
>>     private com.zk.MyQueueConsumer.FileWriterThread timeCounterThread;
>>
>>     private class FileWriterThread extends Thread {
>>
>>         public FileWriterThread() {
>>             // empty ctor
>>         }
>>
>>         @Override
>>         public void run() {
>>             // We write the stats:
>>
>>             try {
>>                 while (true) {
>>                     MyQueueConsumer.this.timeCounter.write(dateFormat.format(new
Date()) + " "+
>>                             "[numberOfProcessed="+MyQueueConsumer.this.numberOfProcessedURL
   +"]\n") ;
>>                     MyQueueConsumer.this.timeCounter.flush();
>>
>>                     // Sleeps 5 minutes
>>                     Thread.sleep(300000);
>>                 }
>>             } catch (Exception e) {
>>                 // TODO Auto-generated catch block
>>                 e.printStackTrace();
>>             }
>>         }
>>     }
>>

>>     public MyQueueConsumer(CuratorFramework framework, final String id) throws Exception
{
>>         this.id = id;
>>         this.name = java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostName();
>>         this.timeCounter = new FileWriter(new File("MyQueueConsumer_"+ this.name
+ "_" +id + "_timeCounter.txt"));

>> //        this.timeCounterThread = new FileWriterThread();
>> //        this.timeCounterThread.start();
>>         this.queue = Utils.newDistributedQueue(framework, Utils.CRAWL_QUEUE_PATH,
Utils.CRAWL_QUEUE_LOCK_PATH, new QueueConsumer<CrawlUrl>() {

{
>>                 System.out.println(String.format("[%s] connection state changed to
%s", id, newState));
>>             }
>>
>>             @Override
>>             public void consumeMessage(CrawlUrl url) throws Exception {
>>                 try {
>>                     LOG.info(dateFormat.format(new Date(System.currentTimeMillis()))
+ "["+id+ "-" + MyQueueConsumer.this.name+ "] processed " + url.url);
>>                     MyQueueConsumer.this.numberOfProcessedURL++;
>>                 } catch (Exception e) {
>>                     LOG.error( "["+id+ "-" + MyQueueConsumer.this.name+ "]" + e.getMessage()
+ " for url " + url.url );
> [...]
>>
>> import org.apache.curator.framework.CuratorFramework;
>> import org.apache.curator.test.TestingServer;
>>

>> public class QueueTestMain {
>>
>>     /**
>>      * @param args
>>      */
>>     public static void main(String[] args) {
>>         CrawlerPropertyFile props;
>>         try {
>>             props = new CrawlerPropertyFile(args[0]);
>>
>>             final String connectString;
>>             System.out.println("DEBUG = " + Utils.DEBUG);
>>             if (props.useZkTestServer()) {
>>                 System.out.println("Will launch from zkTestServer");
>>                 TestingServer server = new TestingServer();
>>                 connectString = server.getConnectString();
>>             } else {
>>                 connectString = props.getZkServer();
>>             }
>>
>>             final CuratorFramework framework = Utils.newFramework(connectString);
>>             framework.start();
>>

>>             if (args[1] != null && args[1].equalsIgnoreCase("true")) {
>>                 @SuppressWarnings("unused")
>>                 QueueProducer producer = new QueueProducer(framework);
>>             } else {
>>
>>                 final MyQueueConsumer[] queueConsumers = new MyQueueConsumer[props.getNumberOfWorkers()];
>>
>>                 for (int i = 0; i < queueConsumers.length; i++) {
>>                     queueConsumers[i] = new MyQueueConsumer(framework, "id_"+i);
>>                 }
>>
>>                 Runtime.getRuntime().addShutdownHook(new Thread() {
>>                     @Override
>>                     public void run() {
>>                         // close workers
>>                         Throwable t = null;
>>                         for (MyQueueConsumer queueConsumer : queueConsumers) {
>>                             try {
>>                                 queueConsumer.close();
>>                             } catch (Throwable th) {
>>                                 if (t == null) {
>>                                     t = th;
>>                                 }
>>                             }
>>                         }
>>                         // throw first exception that we encountered
>>                         if (t != null) {
>>                             throw new RuntimeException("some workers failed to close",
t);
>>                         }
>>                     }
>>                 });
>>

>>             }
>>         }catch (Exception e ){
>>             e.printStackTrace();
>>         }
>>
>>     }
>>
>> }
>>

>> Example of output:
>>

>> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <jordan@jordanzimmerman.com>
wrote:
>> Can you produce a test that shows this? Anything else interesting in the log? Of
course, there could be a bug.

>> -Jordan

wrote:

>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I made a short test as following:
>> >
>> > - I have a chorum of 3 nodes for Zookeeper.
>> > - I wrote a class using Curator QueueProducer who produces all the time (when
the queue is 10% full, it creates new items) , items (random integer)
>> > - I wrote a simple class using Curator Queue Consumer which simply prints to
Log "consumed item i".

>> > I tested some different combinations :
>> > - running the consumers on one, two or three nodes.
>> > - running one or more consumers in parallel on a given node.
>> >

>> > But, and here is my question: I see some very strange behavior when I have several
consummers in parallel on a node. For example, running 5 consumers per node on 3 nodes, I
see a throughput **very** slow. When looking at my Log, I see that most of the consumers are
most of the time on an idle state....

>> > Do I mistake somewhere?
>> >  I was expecting to enhance the throughput by augmenting the number of consumers,
I am surprised to see the opposite....