curator-user mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com>
Subject Re: Multiple consumers on a single server - strange behavior.
Date Sun, 17 Nov 2013 20:14:32 GMT
Can you produce a test that shows this? Anything else interesting in the log? Of course, there
could be a bug.

-Jordan

> Hi
>
> I made a short test as following:
>
> - I have a chorum of 3 nodes for Zookeeper.
> - I wrote a class using Curator QueueProducer who produces all the time (when the queue
is 10% full, it creates new items) , items (random integer)
> - I wrote a simple class using Curator Queue Consumer which simply prints to Log "consumed
item i".

> I tested some different combinations :
> - running the consumers on one, two or three nodes.
> - running one or more consumers in parallel on a given node.
>

> But, and here is my question: I see some very strange behavior when I have several consummers
in parallel on a node. For example, running 5 consumers per node on 3 nodes, I see a throughput
**very** slow. When looking at my Log, I see that most of the consumers are most of the time
on an idle state....

> Do I mistake somewhere?
>  I was expecting to enhance the throughput by augmenting the number of consumers, I am
surprised to see the opposite....