curator-user mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com>
Subject Re: Order of ServiceInstances
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2013 21:54:14 GMT
> What is the order of the ServiceInstances returned by ServiceDiscovery#queryForInstances(String
name)?
Whatever order ZooKeeper's getChildren() returns it. Which, AFAIK, is undefined.

> Also what's the order returned by ServiceCache#getInstances()?
Because it uses PatchChildrenCache internally, this returns instances sorted by path.

> P.S. Curator has made my work with ZooKeeper much easier :) thanks!

:)

On Aug 20, 2013, at 2:44 PM, Robert Kanter <rkanter@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the order of the ServiceInstances returned by ServiceDiscovery#queryForInstances(String
name)?  Also what's the order returned by ServiceCache#getInstances()?

> The context is I have some IDs and I want to assign them to different instances on the
service discovery based on modding the ID by the number of ServiceInstances (in other words,
each ID will be assigned to exactly one ServiceInstance).  I'd like to use the order in which
the services registered with ZooKeeper as their index (that is, the first service that registers
is 0, the second is 1, etc).  I can accomplish this by checking the ServiceInstance#getRegistrationTimeUTC()
for each ServiceInstance to determine the ordering, but it would be easier and faster if the
returned Collection was already in that order (which is what I'm hoping).