curator-user mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com>
Subject Re: Instructions on setting 'ConnectionTimeout'
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2013 21:49:54 GMT
It's more than that. If the ZooKeeper connection needs to be re-created (i.e. due to session
expiration, etc.) then the connection timeout applies once more for the new ZooKeeper handle.

-JZ

On Jul 8, 2013, at 9:07 AM, chao chu <chuchao333@gmail.com> wrote:

> I c and thanks for your reply. So, except for the initial 'SysConnected', it's meaningless
if connection timeout is larger than session timeout since you will get a SessionExpiredException
instead of a ConnectionLossException if it couldn't re-connect to zk before session time out?

> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 11:33 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <jordan@jordanzimmerman.com>
wrote:
> In ZooKeeper, you must wait for SysConnected before making any API method calls. Curator
handles this internally. The connection timeout defines how long Curator will wait for the
SysConnected before throwing ConnectionLossException.

> I hope this helps.
>
> -Jordan
>
> On Jul 8, 2013, at 7:52 AM, chao chu <chuchao333@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I remembered I had read somewhere that 'connection timeout' in curator has its own
concept and has a separate value from zk's session timeout.

>> It's not clear from the existing docs/articles/mail threads that what's the rationale
behind this. From the code, it seems that connection timeout is used to determine (the min
value from the two timeouts) when to try to see if there are updates among the participants
of the ensemble?

>> so 'ConnectionsTimeout' should be normally smaller than session timeout? the current
default values in curator for connection timeout is 15s, and session timeout is 60s, shall
we follow the ratio? Or we just set the value according to our own experience?