curator-dev mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com>
Subject Re: Change master to be CURATOR-3.0?
Date Tue, 02 May 2017 19:20:34 GMT
FYI this may be the only reasonable thing to do:

http://stackoverflow.com/a/2862765/2048051 <http://stackoverflow.com/a/2862765/2048051>

git branch -m master master-2.0
git push origin :master
git push origin master-2.0
git checkout CURATOR-3.0
git checkout -b master
git push origin master

I don't know what this does to old forks though. When I get a chance I'll play around with
a dummy Github project.

-JZ

> On May 2, 2017, at 2:15 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <jordan@jordanzimmerman.com> wrote:
>
> I'd like to pick this up again...
>
> ZK 3.5 is now at beta and will soon be the release/master version. Also, I notice more
and more CURATOR-3.0 only changes. Sooner or later, CURATOR-3.0 needs to become master.

> Whenever we do it, though, there's the problem of _how_ to do. I've been searching and
there doesn't seem to be a clean way to do it. Most of the solutions I've seen involve doing
a "git push -f" eventually which is pure evil as I understand it.  Anyone know the best way
to do it?

> What we have now:
>
> * master (represents the Curator 2.x line)
> * CURATOR-3.0 (represents the Curator 3.x line)
>
> What we should have:
>
> * master-2.0 (what was master)
> * master (represents the Curator 3.x line)
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -JZ
>
>> On Mar 10, 2017, at 10:41 AM, Jordan Zimmerman <jordan@jordanzimmerman.com>
wrote:

>> Eventually, it will be the main branch when ZooKeeper 3.5 finally exits alpha/beta.
So, I thought that we should reflect that in our repo. Also, we're starting to get changes
that only apply to CURATOR-3.0 branch. But, then, it might screw up our current merge strategy
so it could be a bad idea.