curator-dev mailing list archives

From Ioannis Canellos <ioca...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ZooKeeper 3.5.0 is coming
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2014 11:47:16 GMT
I like the idea of supporting zookeeper's 3.5.0 features in curator
3.x, mostly because doing that as part of 2.x would slow down the
release cycles of 2.x.

I also like the idea of implementing an ensemble provider that will
start with a configured zookeeper url and then watch for dynamic
reconfiguration changes and update the internal connection string. It
is a chicken and egg problem as Cameron said, but then again the loop
is not introduced by curator, its introduced by zookeeper itself, so
we can't do much here.

If we follow the "mindset" used by zookeeper itself, we could also
persist in a file or something the updated connection string, so that
upon restarts we can reuse the latest known connection string.

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 6:59 AM, Jordan Zimmerman
<jordan@jordanzimmerman.com> wrote:
> +1
>

> On October 24, 2014 at 12:04:11 PM, Mike Drob (madrob@cloudera.com) wrote:
>
> That's fine too. Probably something like Curator 2.7.X is the last one to support ZK
3.4.X and then Curator 2.8.0 will have ZK 3.5 features? We can leave the possibility of a
2.7.1 in the future in case there turns out to be some particularly relevant bug that needs
to be addressed.

> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 1:00 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <jordan@jordanzimmerman.com>
wrote:
> When 3.4.5 came out with the transaction APIs I just documented that version X.X.X (I
forget which) was the last version of Curator that would support 3.3.x and below. We could
do the same for this.

> -JZ
>

> On October 24, 2014 at 11:58:48 AM, Mike Drob (madrob@cloudera.com) wrote:
>
> I would strongly prefer to have one version, even if it means that we need to do some
reflection hacking under the hood. I think it greatly simplifies the narrative for users both
when starting out and when upgrading.

> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 11:50 AM, Jordan Zimmerman <jordan@jordanzimmerman.com>
wrote:
> I haven’t had time. The upcoming ZooKeeper meetup should give details on when to expect
3.5.0. One thing we might need to do is have two versions of Curator for a while as not everyone
will move to 3.5.0 immediately.

> -Jordan
>

> On October 24, 2014 at 12:03:41 AM, Cameron McKenzie (mckenzie.cam@gmail.com) wrote:
>
> Has anyone had any further thoughts about ZK 3.5 and dynamic cluster reconfiguration?
>
> I had a look into the EnsembleProvider interface, but I don't think that it will work
because it is used to create the connection to ZooKeeper, and from my (limited) understanding
of the way that cluster configuration works in ZK 3.5, you need a connection to ZK before
you can work out all of the nodes in the cluster. So, there is a bit of a chicken and egg
problem.

--
Ioannis Canellos

Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com