curator-dev mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com>
Subject Re: Exception throwing
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2014 20:44:59 GMT
This is a philosophical issue. If Curator had no throws clauses at all it would be the same.
So, getting rid of all the “throws Exception” statements wouldn’t help this. In my opinion,
this is all baked into Curator and not worth changing. But, of course, if you can convince
the rest of the community maybe we can change it. I’ve reopened CURATOR-135. If you folks
can convince the community and one of the other committers than it can get done.

-Jordan

From: John Vines <vines@apache.org>
Reply: dev@curator.apache.org <dev@curator.apache.org>>, vines@apache.org <vines@apache.org>>
Date: August 1, 2014 at 3:40:25 PM
To: dev@curator.apache.org <dev@curator.apache.org>>
Cc: Mike Drob <madrob@cloudera.com>>
Subject:  Re: Exception throwing

It's not a matter of it being a bug, it's a matter of usability. Because
every single method just throws Exception it gives me, as a user,
absolutely zero inclination at writing time to figure out what sort of
failures can happen. And the complete lack of javadocs compound this issue.
This has been my biggest issue with Curator.

Yes, there are some unrecoverable errors. But not all of them are, such as
a subset of the KeeperExceptions around node state, security, and versions.
I could be sold on a split, where those type of items are exposed and then
the critical ones you keep mentioning are Runtime. But as much as I dislike
generic Exceptions for everything, forcing users to catch RuntimeExceptions
to do proper exception handling for known and well defined exceptions is an
awful practice to put people though.

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <jordan@jordanzimmerman.com