curator-dev mailing list archives

From John Vines <vi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Exception throwing
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2014 20:39:42 GMT
It's not a matter of it being a bug, it's a matter of usability. Because
every single method just throws Exception it gives me, as a user,
absolutely zero inclination at writing time to figure out what sort of
failures can happen. And the complete lack of javadocs compound this issue.
This has been my biggest issue with Curator.

Yes, there are some unrecoverable errors. But not all of them are, such as
a subset of the KeeperExceptions around node state, security, and versions.
I could be sold on a split, where those type of items are exposed and then
the critical ones you keep mentioning are Runtime. But as much as I dislike
generic Exceptions for everything, forcing users to catch RuntimeExceptions
to do proper exception handling for known and well defined exceptions is an
awful practice to put people though.

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <jordan@jordanzimmerman.com