curator-dev mailing list archives

From Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Curator from Apache Incubator
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 01:38:18 GMT
On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Jordan Zimmerman <
jordan@jordanzimmerman.com> wrote:

> The Apache Curator project entered the Incubator in March of 2013. Since
> then we have added two new committers/PPMC members from diverse
> organizations. The codebase has steadily grown and we have made three
> releases following the ASF policies and guidelines. Thanks to the excellent
> mentorship we have received through this period we have learned to
> self-govern and grow our community using accepted Apache practices. Curator
> continues to attract interest from contributors and users across the world.
> Given these milestones, I strongly feel that Curator is ready to graduate
> from the Incubator.
>
> The first step towards graduation is to vote as a community that Curator
> is ready to graduate. If the vote is successful, we will draft a board
> resolution proposal and call a vote on the general Incubator list. The
> complete graduation process is described below [1].
>
> Please cast your votes:
>
> [  ]  +1 Graduate Curator from Incubator
> [  ]  +0 Indifferent to graduation status of Curator
> [  ]  -1 Reject graduation of Curator from Incubator
>
> This vote will remain open for at least 72 hours from now.
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jordan (this email serves as a +1 from me)

Curator has done a tremendous progress in just a few months in Incubation,
multiple releases, multiple committers, etc. Also, having a TLP with 3
active committers (I haven't seen Jay really active) is very risky, as if
any is MIA, the TLP will not be able to vote for releases, new members,
etc. Also, it worries me a bit that the project is still largely dependent
on Jordan, particularly now that he has expressed that he is going to be
transitioning jobs, and having passed through this experience recently, I
know that your schedule and responsibilities change, and I want to make
sure that is not going to affect the project.

As for next tasks, I would encourage having releases handled by different
committers, having new committers mentored and proposed by the new
committers, that would show signs that the project does not rely only on
Jordan.

Based on that, I'm voting -1, and would like to propose that we review this
matter in 3 months from now (close to our next report to the IPMC)

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende