curator-dev mailing list archives

From Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Curator from Apache Incubator
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 02:40:19 GMT
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Eric Tschetter <echeddar@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know about Jordan's full motivations, but I can say from my
> perspective it really sucked that I gave him a bunch of patches in early
> April, they didn't get applied until May because we were waiting on a
> release vote for 2.0.0, which was the exact same code as what was the most
> current, stable version on github.  Then when we decided we were ready to
> release the changes (prompted by a user wanting a fix in an artifact they
> could actually depend on), we sat there for two weeks waiting on a release
> vote from the mentors, who had to be prompted multiple times and I don't
> believe know the code or have any real understanding about whether it is
> fit for release.

I don't think that a release vote should block patches getting applied, we
have very advance SCM that have well known patterns to overcome that.

But I agree, the vote thing can be blamed on the mentors, we were all on
vacation or busy with other commitments.

> During that two weeks the code sat, it aged a bit like wine, except when we
> uncorked it, it hadn't actually changed.

During this whole time from April, I maintained my own fork of the project
> outside of apache with artifacts deployed to my own artifactory because I
> am not willing to slow down my development cycle.
>
> I guess you are now a committer, and are much more free to get those
changes in when you feel comfortable, and actually start release votes.

> So far, my impression of the transfer to Apache is that it is now more
> painful to actually get changes into a state where other things can depend
> on them, which seems like the opposite of what you want to increase
> adoption of a library.

I believe there are two (maybe three) things that can slow a project down a
bit in Apache :
   - Votes usually have to wait 72 hours (and during incubation, double of
that)
   - Any issue that you require help from Infrastructure team.
   - Making consensus on project direction (which you guys haven't
experienced any yet)

> All of this is aside from the general feeling that its significantly more
> difficult to actually interact with Apache infrastructure than GitHub, but
> that won't be fixed by becoming a TLP.

Well, I really think this is a amazing project community, Jordan has been
doing a tremendous job on the last few months here in Apache, but I just
want to make sure the new committers are familiar with the "Apache Way" and
can handle the project (e.g. by doing releases and adding new community
members to the project), and couple more months here should not make any
perceptible impact to the project, and as a Mentor I'll make sure that this
is true and new votes and other issues that requires mentor attention are
resolved asap within the process time frame.

Hope that you guys decide to stay.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende