curator-dev mailing list archives

From Ioannis Canellos <ioca...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CURATOR-2 branch
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2013 15:19:40 GMT
A bundle is a normal jar, which contains some additional metadata inside
its MANIFEST.MF that describe the requirements and capabilities of the jar
(usually required and expose packages). This has absolutely no-effect to
non-OSGi users (these OSGi metadata are just ignored).

Regarding the bundle packaging, its just a way to let the
maven-bundle-plugin know that we want it to generate a MANIFEST for us.
It's harmless, it doesn't affect the release, it doesn't affect dependant
projects, it doesn't really cause any kind of issues.

If you still have second thoughts about it, we can remove the packaging
element and add some extra maven-plugin configuration to force the manifest
goal of the maven-bundle-plugin & some maven-jar-plugin config to embed the
generated MANIFEST.

I clearly prefer the bundle packaging for 2 reasons:

i) It requires less maven plugin configuration.
ii)  A user can tell that curator is OSGi-ready just by looking at the pom,
without having to search deep into the pom.

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**