curator-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Tschetter <eched...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Curator from Apache Incubator
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 02:19:29 GMT
I don't know about Jordan's full motivations, but I can say from my
perspective it really sucked that I gave him a bunch of patches in early
April, they didn't get applied until May because we were waiting on a
release vote for 2.0.0, which was the exact same code as what was the most
current, stable version on github.  Then when we decided we were ready to
release the changes (prompted by a user wanting a fix in an artifact they
could actually depend on), we sat there for two weeks waiting on a release
vote from the mentors, who had to be prompted multiple times and I don't
believe know the code or have any real understanding about whether it is
fit for release.

During that two weeks the code sat, it aged a bit like wine, except when we
uncorked it, it hadn't actually changed.

During this whole time from April, I maintained my own fork of the project
outside of apache with artifacts deployed to my own artifactory because I
am not willing to slow down my development cycle.

So far, my impression of the transfer to Apache is that it is now more
painful to actually get changes into a state where other things can depend
on them, which seems like the opposite of what you want to increase
adoption of a library.

All of this is aside from the general feeling that its significantly more
difficult to actually interact with Apache infrastructure than GitHub, but
that won't be fixed by becoming a TLP.

--Eric