curator-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jira Issues
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2013 23:44:13 GMT
That can definitely be a problem with how we do things. So far, we
haven't had any significant problems with it, but I think we're past a
dozen or so people with commit rights now.

I don't think we've had to have more than a <bump> on a ticket before
someone took the time to work it, but we also haven't had many big
new-feature contributions. Most of our patches are somewhat
small/contained. People tend to enjoy creating projects using Accumulo
than create new features inside of Accumulo (or the example falls into a
contrib realm which has less concern for quality than our core code).

On 06/03/2013 07:32 PM, Jordan Zimmerman wrote:
> So, that would imply not acting on patches unless a committer has an interest in it,
right? If a patch poster wants action and isn't getting it he/she would need to post on @dev
to find a champion.

> -JZ
>
> On Jun 3, 2013, at 4:14 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Speaking with my Apache Accumulo hat on:
>>
>> Contributors will typically attach the patch to the corresponding Jira issue or use
review board [1]

>> The patch, ignoring very trivial changes, will typically hang around for a while
(probably due to the time until a committer has a moment to look at it -- I like to think
this gives everyone a chance to look at the changes to give feedback despite us being a CTR
[2] project). A committer who is comfortable with the changes will typically be the "champion"
behind it to ensure it's up to snuff (matches code-style, no compiler warnings, works as intended,
has tests, etc), apply it, and merge it to any other branches as necessary.

>> The only time a patch has come up for review/vote for us (as far as I remember) is
when the patch creates a controversial feature or there is strong disagreement on the implementation
of the changes.

>> Hope that helps!
>>
>> [1] https://reviews.apache.org/dashboard/
>> [2] http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#CommitThenReview
>>
>> On 06/03/2013 05:08 PM, Jordan Zimmerman wrote:
>>> ZooKeeper auto-applies patches. It's nice in that it does a first pass validation
automatically. It's worthwhile, IMO.

>>> On this subject, what should our policy be on patches? Should we vote on every
single one? How do other projects handle it?