curator-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jira Issues
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2013 23:14:27 GMT
Speaking with my Apache Accumulo hat on:

Contributors will typically attach the patch to the corresponding Jira
issue or use review board [1]

The patch, ignoring very trivial changes, will typically hang around for
a while (probably due to the time until a committer has a moment to look
at it -- I like to think this gives everyone a chance to look at the
changes to give feedback despite us being a CTR [2] project). A
committer who is comfortable with the changes will typically be the
"champion" behind it to ensure it's up to snuff (matches code-style, no
compiler warnings, works as intended, has tests, etc), apply it, and
merge it to any other branches as necessary.

The only time a patch has come up for review/vote for us (as far as I
remember) is when the patch creates a controversial feature or there is
strong disagreement on the implementation of the changes.

Hope that helps!

[1] https://reviews.apache.org/dashboard/
[2] http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#CommitThenReview

On 06/03/2013 05:08 PM, Jordan Zimmerman wrote:
> ZooKeeper auto-applies patches. It's nice in that it does a first pass validation automatically.
It's worthwhile, IMO.

> On this subject, what should our policy be on patches? Should we vote on every single
one? How do other projects handle it?