curator-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Cabrera <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: No votes on @general?
Date Wed, 08 May 2013 19:20:56 GMT

ASF priorities are:
community
everything else
We are not another github or source forge.  We are all about building a community and allowing
everyone to participate.  This means that we have to accommodate members who live around the
world.

If this project's priority is pushing out code as fast as one can then maybe you should seriously
consider moving to github.  There will be no hard feelings.

This does not mean, however, that bits of beaurocratic-ness do not slip in.  Do not hesitate
to point them out if you have concrete specific observations.

Please remember that when you get encouragement of community, support, legal and quality validations,
etc., sometimes things will move a bit more slowly in a non-profit volunteer organization
than internal efforts of a corporation.

Regards,
Alan

On May 8, 2013, at 12:10 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <jordan@jordanzimmerman.com> wrote:

> This is larger debate for me. I've been watching the @general thread and reading some
old blog posts regarding Apache. I'd like to see Apache become leaner. I'm new to Apache so
it's pretty rude to be complaining at this point, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels
this way: getting a project set up in Apache is very painful compared to Github and it shouldn't
be so. The best things about Apache are the encouragement of community, support, legal and
quality validations, etc. The worst things about Apache are its tool chain and its beaurocratic-ness.

> -JZ
>
> On May 8, 2013, at 12:04 PM, Alan Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>
>> It is a long time to wait.
>>
>> But consider this, the Curator project is a podling and so it's under probation.
 Hence the second 72 hour vote.  Once this podling graduates the second vote/review will no
longer be needed.

>> Why 72 hours?  The ASF is a volunteer organization whose membership spans the globe.
 To be respectful of other members' time we allow 72 hours so that thoughtful reviews can
take place.

>> Regards,
>> Alan
>>

>> On May 8, 2013, at 11:42 AM, Jordan Zimmerman <jordan@jordanzimmerman.com>
wrote:

>>> FWIW - Apache needs to consider being more agile. Waiting two 72 hour periods
is a LONG time these days for a release.

>>> -JZ

Is that normal? Can we move to release with just our group's votes? I'd hope to close voting
tomorrow (72 hours).