curator-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Curator 2.0.0-incubating
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2013 22:04:26 GMT
On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 6:44 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <randgalt@apache.org
>wrote:
>
> > I thought that Apache releases were supposed to be source. I'm getting
> > conflicting information from the mentors on this. I'd prefer a binary
> > release to Maven Central.
> >
> > -JZ
> >

> Source is a must, but most if not all java projects does provide a binary
> and maven artifacts.
> A good practice is to follow how other projects that are around for a
while
> do...

I go by the following: Apache releases source artifacts, binaries are
considered "convenience artifacts" and not a proper release:
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what

"The Apache Software Foundation produces open source software. All releases
are in the form of the source materials needed to make changes to the
software being released. In some cases, binary/bytecode packages are also
produced as a convenience to users that might not have the appropriate
tools to build a compiled version of the source. "

It's up to you if you want to include binaries along with the source
release. They are helpful to users, which helps to build community, however
in my experience they make the release process tougher (more issues for
people to find).

Patrick