curator-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Curator 2.0.0-incubating
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2013 22:33:13 GMT
Hi Jordan. I'm having trouble finding the release artifact at the link
provided. afaict what this is linking to is a set of maven files
making up a curator maven repo. That's fine to include as part of a
release, however to start with you need a source artifact that's the
actual release. This should be a single archive file containing the
source for the project. Maven repos, binaries, etc... are all
considered "convenience artifacts" and not an official release
vehicle.

Take a look at http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-types
also: http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-source

As I suggested previously you might want to focus on a source only
release for your first release. That should be straightforward to
produce. See other projects, here's what whirr did when it was in the
incubator:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=27833322
I'd suggest you copy/paste this into your wiki and change the names,
etc... to make sense for curator.

here's a recent release candidate from S4 that you might take a look
at to get a sense of what a typical release artifact looks lke:
http://people.apache.org/~mmorel/s4-0.6.0-incubating-release-candidate-4/
(doesn't have to be zip files, fine to be tar.gz)

EOD what you want is:
1) a single .tar.gz (whatever) that contains all the source in a buildable form.
2) the artifact should be signed and checksummed (typ people include
.sha1 and .md5)
3) generate the artifact from your source repo, tag the source (again,
see whirr process)
4) the source files should pass a RAT check rt license headers and such
5) you need license/notice/disclaimer files at the toplevel of the
release artifact (and your source base) - see the checklist on the
incubator release page for more such checklist type items:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list

Hope this helps. If not feel free to ask questions.

Patrick