curator-dev mailing list archives

From Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Review of new release candidate
Date Sat, 20 Apr 2013 23:27:47 GMT
On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <randgalt@apache.org>wrote:

> Comments inline:
>
> >- Packaging/Naming (curator-2.0.0-incubating.zip)
> >
> >   - the project is not curator, it's Apache Curator, so we usually prefix
> >apache on the distro
> I'll fix this in the next RC. I've renamed the parent project to
> "apache-curator".

ok

>- best practices is to postfix source with src
> >
> >- good practice is to also produce .tar.gz
> >
> >- so we are looking at something like :
> >apache-curator-2.0.0-incubating-src.zip
> The name of Zip file is generated by Maven. I can manually change it, but
> this is the standard naming.

yes, you can easily change by using maven assembly plugin.

> > - it should also extract to a folder that describe the file, that is
> > from apache and is still incubating: apache-curator-2.0.0-incubating-src
> That it is incubating is listed in the DISCLAIMER file. That should be
> sufficient.
>
> >- MD5 and SHA1 signature missing
> I believe those will come from a true Maven release which I cannot do
> until we have a repo (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-6069)

You can easily create those, see some of the manual steps on people not
using maven release:
http://tuscany.apache.org/making-releases.html

> >- Types of distributions
> >
> >   - I would encourage a binary distribution of curator
> >
> >   - Are we not distributing maven binaries either ?
> Binary will come out of a standard Maven release. The artifact that I
> staged is what is built when I use the provided Apache parent pom:
>
>         mvn -P apache-release package

With binary release, you will now have to start handling two different set
of LICENSE, NOTICE and I don't believe you have that today.

> >- Licensing
> >
> >- Looks like you notice should get rid of the Google Guava, Mockito,
> >SLF4J, etc in the source distribution, unless you are actually
> distributing
> >class files from some of these dependencies.
> I did this already.
>
> >- rat is flagging multiple .confluence files as missing apache headers
> As I mentioned, DOXIA doesn't support comments in confluence files so
> there's nothing I can do about this.

You can configure RAT to ignore those files, and if you haven't done that
yet, include rat on your build.

> >- Building
> >
> >   - Source distribution fails to build with mvm clean install in mac os
> >environment when starting the curator-framework tests
> This should be fixed now. Have you tried again?
>
> >- Others
> >
> >   - I don't believe curator site should be part of the source release
> This is the standard build as specified by -P apache-release.

Well, if you release the website, we have to review all it's contents and
included artifacts for compliance with Apache releases... otherwise, the
website is published live and it's not considered a released artifact which
gives you more flexibility on what you can use, etc.

> >- Is there a tag for this release candidate ?
> There's the .asc file. I'm not familiar with any other type of tag

As this is pure git, I believe you should identify a tag label... so others
can checkout and verify if needed.

> >- can't verify signature, have you uploaded your key to a public server ?
> As I mentioned earlier, my key is definitely at the public server.

Will check later.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende