curator-dev mailing list archives

From Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Curator 2.0.0-incubating
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2013 23:46:54 GMT
On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 6:44 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <randgalt@apache.org
> >wrote:
> >
> > > I thought that Apache releases were supposed to be source. I'm getting
> > > conflicting information from the mentors on this. I'd prefer a binary
> > > release to Maven Central.
> > >
> > > -JZ
> > >

> > Source is a must, but most if not all java projects does provide a binary
> > and maven artifacts.
> > A good practice is to follow how other projects that are around for a
> while
> > do...
>
> I go by the following: Apache releases source artifacts, binaries are
> considered "convenience artifacts" and not a proper release:
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what
>
> "The Apache Software Foundation produces open source software. All releases
> are in the form of the source materials needed to make changes to the
> software being released. In some cases, binary/bytecode packages are also
> produced as a convenience to users that might not have the appropriate
> tools to build a compiled version of the source. "
>
> It's up to you if you want to include binaries along with the source
> release. They are helpful to users, which helps to build community, however
> in my experience they make the release process tougher (more issues for
> people to find).
>
> Patrick

Although binaries are considered "convenience artifacts", I believe this is
a must for java releases (including maven artifacts), particularly because
it makes it easier for consumers to integrate these frameworks into their
applications which helps growing the community around the podling.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende