curator-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about releasing...
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2013 05:11:39 GMT
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Jordan Zimmerman <randgalt@apache.org> wrote:
>> A few questions about releasing for the mentors…
>>
>> * If I understand it correctly, I need to put a vote out before I release Curator,
correct? This vote is IPMC, which means us, right? I keep getting confused on these acronyms.

> For podling release purposes, only IPMC (Incubator PMC) votes are
> binding. If we can get 3 +1 from IPMC members on the dev list, then we
> can do lazy consensus on the vote thread on general@. Otherwise, we
> need to use the vote on the general@ to get the remaining votes for
> the release.

FYI Jordan, some projects call the vote on dev@ first to straighten
out any issues (not waste time of general@ on project specific issues,
like test failures etc...), then call the vote on general@. However
others I've worked with call the vote on both lists at the same time.
It's up to you.  Otw you need the results as listed by Luciano.

>> * Is a release required to come out of Jenkins or can it be from a local machine?
>>

> It can come from local machine, which, AFAIK, is the standard way of
> doing so. Note that first release most likely will take a bit of
> time... and various RCs, so don't be frustrated if that happens.

Become familiar with this page:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

Remember - at Apache you are releasing source, not binary. See this
section and the next:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#notes-on-source-only-releases

Most folks post their release to people.apache.org. See ambari as an
example of "how to release"
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Releasing+Ambari.

Regards,

Patrick