curator-dev mailing list archives

From Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Curator 2.0.0-incubating
Date Fri, 29 Mar 2013 23:42:13 GMT
On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <randgalt@apache.org>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to release the current version of Curator (that was Netflix
> Curator) as Apache Curator 2.0.0. The release source artifact is at:
>
>         https://people.apache.org/~randgalt/staging/
>
> As this is my first Apache release, please advise on if this is correct or
> not.
>
> [ ] +1 to release
> [ ] +0 undecided/don't care
> [ ] -1 do not release (state reason)
>
> -Jordan

-1

- Packaging/Naming (curator-2.0.0-incubating.zip)

   - the project is not curator, it's Apache Curator, so we usually prefix
apache on the distro

   - best practices is to postfix source with src

   - good practice is to also produce .tar.gz

   - so we are looking at something like :
apache-curator-2.0.0-incubating-src.zip

   - it should also extract to a folder that describe the file, that is
from apache and is still incubating: apache-curator-2.0.0-incubating-src

   - MD5 and SHA1 signature missing

- Types of distributions

   - I would encourage a binary distribution of curator

   - Are we not distributing maven binaries either ?

- Licensing

   - Looks like you notice should get rid of the Google Guava, Mockito,
SLF4J, etc in the source distribution, unless you are actually distributing
class files from some of these dependencies.

   - rat is flagging multiple .confluence files as missing apache headers

- Building

   - Source distribution fails to build with mvm clean install in mac os
environment when starting the curator-framework tests

- Others

   - I don't believe curator site should be part of the source release

   - Is there a tag for this release candidate ?

   - can't verify signature, have you uploaded your key to a public server ?

Also, I would call things more like RC1, RC2, etc, so we can see and/or
check changes between RCs

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende