ctakes-user mailing list archives

From "Geise, Brandon D." <bdge...@geisinger.edu>
Subject RE: MaxentParserWrapper
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2016 16:10:55 GMT
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the response.  This does make lots of sense, especially given the input and the
note types where I'm seeing delays.  I'll investigate a little further and hopefully Sean
can add some more details.

Thanks,
Brandon

From: Miller, Timothy [mailto:Timothy.Miller@childrens.harvard.edu]
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2016 11:01 AM
To: user@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: Re: MaxentParserWrapper

Hi Brandon,
I wrote the constituency parser module. It is basically a wrapper for the OpenNLP constituency
parser. The only thing our module does is convert from our TypeSystem into tokens for the
parser, run the parser, then convert the output back into our typesystem.

As far as slowness, it is known that there are issues with extremely long sentences (I believe
the algorithm is n^3 on the input so this makes sense). But we have found (Sean Finan pointed
this out) that the problem is often coming from upstream, with misclassified strings of punctuation
used as section delimiters being tokenized/segmented as super long sentences. I believe he
implemented some workarounds in some of our pipelines to recognize "non-real" sentences and
have the parser skip them, but I don't know off the top of my head where that is and whether
or not it's checked in.

Maybe Sean can chime in with more info if that sounds familiar.

Tim