ctakes-user mailing list archives

From "Miller, Timothy" <Timothy.Mil...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Meaning of "CONTAINS" TLink.. Is it equivalent to Overlap ?
Date Wed, 19 Aug 2015 13:00:02 GMT
Sounds like an awesome application!

CONTAINS is similar to OVERLAP but more specific. It means that one
event is fully contained inside an event or time expression:

|--------- a -----------|
      |-----b-------|

specifically BEGIN(a) <= BEGIN(b)  AND END(a) >= END(b)

whereas OVERLAP is a broader category that just means there is some overlap:

|--------a----------|
    |-----------b-------|

is an example of an OVERLAP relation that is not contains.

Technically CONTAINS is a subset of OVERLAP, but it is one that is so
useful and common that we keep it as its own category.

Tim

On 08/19/2015 04:53 AM, Stuti Awasthi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am a newbee in ctakes so please pardon my ignorance.
> I am trying to extract temporal relation between Events-Events and Events-Time. For this
I am using cTakes Temporal module via api's.  Once I get the temporal relation, I would like
to put them in sequence order to understand patients medical history.

> Now issue is for most of the relationship(Tlink) between Evenet-Event and Event-Time,
I receive a category  "Contains". In most of the ctakes related papers, I read that TLInk
belongs to "Before, Aftre,Overlap" so what does this "contains" means and how I can utilize
this to build user's sequential timeline

> Eg:
> The MRI scan on admission revealed an impending cord compression at the level of T10.

> ################ EventEventRelation Annotation Output ###############
> EVENT(DocTime) | Relationship Category | Event(Doctime)
> scan ( BEFORE )  | CONTAINS 		  | revealed ( BEFORE )
> scan ( BEFORE )  | CONTAINS 		  | compression ( BEFORE )
>
> Please suggest.
>
> Thanks &Regards
> Stuti Awasthi
>

> ::DISCLAIMER::

named recipient(s) only.
> E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could
be intercepted, corrupted,
> lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The
e mail and its contents
> (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator
or HCL or its affiliates.
> Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and
may not necessarily reflect the
> views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination,
copying, disclosure, modification,
> distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of
authorized representative of
> HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it
and notify the sender immediately.