ctakes-user mailing list archives

From Stuti Awasthi <stutiawas...@hcl.com>
Subject RE: Meaning of "CONTAINS" TLink.. Is it equivalent to Overlap ?
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2015 12:41:42 GMT
Thanks Guergana,

I have downloaded and build cTakes Timelanes at my end and explored it also. It is a really
great tool and it shows that how much effort has been put to develop this.
One of the things which I noticed in Timelanes is if my input doesn't contain any TimeEvent
and only contains relation between Events-Events then no Timelane is plotted. What shall be
done for such cases ?

Thanks &Regards
Stuti Awasthi

-----Original Message-----
From: Savova, Guergana [mailto:Guergana.Savova@childrens.harvard.edu]
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2015 5:57 PM
To: user@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: RE: Meaning of "CONTAINS" TLink.. Is it equivalent to Overlap ?

Hi Stuti,
There is code in cTAKES (TimeLanes) that takes all pairwise temporal relations (e.g. CONTAINS,
BEFORE, etc.) and the relation of the event to the document creation time (docTimeRel) discovered
by the cTAKES temporal modules and derives a timeline. The code to TimeLanes is in the apache
ctakes sandbox as "timelineViz" or something like that.  It is an older copy and it will be
updated soon - there are common libraries in TimeLanes and some other software, and testing
all end uses takes some effort. The code is not perfect but it is a start.

A paper describing the cTAKES temporal relation module will be published here within couple
of weeks:
http://jamia.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/recent/

You are welcome to use the TimeLanes code for your use case, improve on it and contribute
back the improvements! Extracting temporality from text and creating timelines of events is
a very challenging task.
--Guergana