ctakes-user mailing list archives

From "John Green" <hephaestus.stu...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Meaning of "CONTAINS" TLink.. Is it equivalent to Overlap ?
Date Mon, 31 Aug 2015 14:01:31 GMT
I look forward to reading that paper!

JTG

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 6:27 AM, Savova, Guergana
<Guergana.Savova@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Hi Stuti,
> There is code in cTAKES (TimeLanes) that takes all pairwise temporal relations (e.g.
CONTAINS, BEFORE, etc.) and the relation of the event to the document creation time (docTimeRel)
discovered by the cTAKES temporal modules and derives a timeline. The code to TimeLanes is
in the apache ctakes sandbox as "timelineViz" or something like that.  It is an older copy
and it will be updated soon - there are common libraries in TimeLanes and some other software,
and testing all end uses takes some effort. The code is not perfect but it is a start.
> A paper describing the cTAKES temporal relation module will be published here within
couple of weeks:
> http://jamia.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/recent/
> You are welcome to use the TimeLanes code for your use case, improve on it and contribute
back the improvements! Extracting temporality from text and creating timelines of events is
a very challenging task.
> --Guergana
these concepts to prepare sequential event based timeline for the patients.
> It would be helpful if you can point some useful links or suggest your thoughts.
> Thanks &Regards
> Stuti Awasthi
inside an event or time expression:
> |--------- a -----------|
>       |-----b-------|
> specifically BEGIN(a) <= BEGIN(b)  AND END(a) >= END(b)
> whereas OVERLAP is a broader category that just means there is some overlap:
> |--------a----------|
>     |-----------b-------|
> is an example of an OVERLAP relation that is not contains.
> Technically CONTAINS is a subset of OVERLAP, but it is one that is so useful and common
that we keep it as its own category.
> Tim
> On 08/19/2015 04:53 AM, Stuti Awasthi wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am a newbee in ctakes so please pardon my ignorance.
>> I am trying to extract temporal relation between Events-Events and Events-Time. For
this I am using cTakes Temporal module via api's.  Once I get the temporal relation, I would
like to put them in sequence order to understand patients medical history.

>> Now issue is for most of the relationship(Tlink) between Evenet-Event
>> and Event-Time, I receive a category  "Contains". In most of the
>> ctakes related papers, I read that TLInk belongs to "Before,
>> Aftre,Overlap" so what does this "contains" means and how I can
>> utilize this to build user's sequential timeline
>>
>> Eg:
>> The MRI scan on admission revealed an impending cord compression at the level of
T10.

>> ################ EventEventRelation Annotation Output ###############
>> EVENT(DocTime) | Relationship Category | Event(Doctime)
>> scan ( BEFORE )  | CONTAINS 		  | revealed ( BEFORE )
>> scan ( BEFORE )  | CONTAINS 		  | compression ( BEFORE )
>>
>> Please suggest.
>>
>> Thanks &Regards
>> Stuti Awasthi
>>

>> ::DISCLAIMER::
>> --------
>>
>> The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for
the named recipient(s) only.
>> E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
>> information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive
>> late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The e mail and its contents
or HCL or its affiliates.
>> Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of
>> the author and may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of
>> HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination,
>> copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this message
without the prior written consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately.