ctakes-user mailing list archives

From Bonnie MacKellar <macke...@stjohns.edu>
Subject do I need the UIMA SDK?
Date Fri, 24 Jul 2015 23:17:32 GMT
Hi,

I am very new to cTakes. I want to work with it from Java. I followed the instructions in
developer-install, and loaded the code into Eclipse. I can run the CPE and CVD from the ctakes-ClinicalPipelines
project and I can use the FastUMLSAnnotator, so I know I have configured UMLS authentication
properly.

However, I am very confused. Looking at the Eclipse setup, I see many, many projects. What
are all these projects? I can't find any documentation. I use the ctakes-ClinicalPipeline
project mainly because that is what the developer-install instructions say to use. Do I actually
need all those Eclipse projects?

More importantly, while I understand the relationship of cTakes to UIMA conceptually, on a
practical basis I am having trouble. For example, all the documentation is really UIMA documentation.
The UIMA documentation assumes I have UIMA SDK. For example, the instructions for running
the CPE Configurator tell me to run a .sh file in the UIMA SDK. Yet, the cTakes developer-install
instructions never mention the UIMA SDK. Do I need to install this?

And finsally, and I realize this may seem like a stupid question, but if I want to write an
application that uses the clinical pipeline and then accesses the jCAS structure to do something
additional, would I add my code to the ctakes-ClinicalPipeline project or just start another
Eclipse project?

Bonnie MacKellar
Division of Computer Science, Math and Science
St John's University
Queens, NY
mackellb@stjohns.edu