ctakes-user mailing list archives

From "Chen, Pei" <Pei.C...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: Regarding using cTakes production environment..
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2014 19:43:05 GMT
+1.
The models are generally read-only in the runtime prod environment- so there shouldn’t be
any reason why it can’t be made to be thread-safe.
LVG[1] was definitely one I remember that was problematic...
[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CTAKES-151
--Pei

From: vijay garla [mailto:vngarla@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2014 3:14 PM
To: user@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: Re: Regarding using cTakes production environment..

ytex has a web client for the semantic similarity service, but not for running ctakes pipelines.

I believe that the only issue with running ctakes (or any UIMA pipeline) in a web server is
thread safety - not all AnnotationEngines are thread safe (in fact I don't know which ones
are or aren't).  What is *not* thread safe is LVG, which is not needed for many use cases.

What really needs to be thread safe are all the models - they take up a lot of memory and
instantiating one per thread would be very costly.

Best,

VJ

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Chen, Pei <Pei.Chen@childrens.harvard.edu<mailto:Pei.Chen@childrens.harvard.edu>>