ctakes-user mailing list archives

From "Masanz, James J." <Masanz.Ja...@mayo.edu>
Subject RE: cTAKES API documentation
Date Wed, 07 May 2014 19:47:20 GMT
There were slides created for the very first release of cTAKES that showed something along
these lines. I don’t see it online anymore, but it’s outdated anyway. I’ll look for
a copy and post them somewhere.

I like the PDF but I’d suggest keeping the format as simple as possible to make it easy
to make updates.

Also, I suggest either removing or adding a footnote for those attributes that aren’t set
by a given annotator.  For example, the output of Tokenizer Annotator is shown to be BaseToken,
but because some attributes of BaseToken are listed, someone might wrongly infer that the
Tokenizer sets the values of those attributes, when some of them are actually set by later
annotators.

It would also be good to list which release of cTAKES it applies to.

-- James

From: N M [mailto:mavericnlp@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 4:01 PM
To: user@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: Re: cTAKES API documentation

Hi,
Documentation which I was hoping to find as a user (hopefully eventually developer) of cTAKES,
was a detailed description of each component (or analysis engine) and their interplay. As
I've been looking at the cTAKES source code, I've been creating a chart for each pipeline
that I've analyzed, hoping to essentially create a more useful component library than the
one available at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CTAKES/cTAKES+3.0+Component+Use+Guide
(a "developer version" of this, if you will).
I've attached a pdf example of one of my personal note charts I've been working on, this one
is specific to the UMLS plaintext aggregate AE. My idea is to have some sort of diagram for
each pipeline that I can refer to, so that when I need to customize things in the future,
I have a pretty good idea of where to go. I think it is important to chart inputs and output
types especially.
Has anyone written a UIMA library to automatically document these kinds of things for UIMA
components? running something akin to one would save a lot of time and effort, and would be
much more maintainable than manually created charts. (of course, the inputs and outputs would
have to be noted in the xml files, which doesn't seem to be the case for many of the AE's).

Looking at the previous discussions (notably the one regarding lvg entries), it seems to me
that having a chart or other type of documentation which lists what types come out of and
go into each component would go a long ways.
Does anyone know if anything similar exists?

Thanks.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 2:17 PM, ravi garg <ravigarg27@gmail.com<mailto:ravigarg27@gmail.com>>